e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > Technical > Forced Induction > FI Engine Management: Spark, Fuel, & Boost Control
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
Forced_Firebird
WOT-Tech

E30: 1986 325es
Forced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud of
Default Any Motronic geeks left?

Who else is emulating, or messing around with the Motronic tuning?

Just got a nice sized package from Moates including an emulator, spare chips, chip extender and some stuff I needed for my GM projects like a memcal adapter and ALDL datalog cable etc, can't wait to get started! Weather sucks right now, and the laptop is at my shop so tomorrow will get the chip extender installed so the chip port will be in the glove box and don't have to remove the ECU every time it needs to get hooked up.

Any suggestions or pointers before I get started? I am familiar with the chip burner etc and have messed around with the eeprom burner for my GM ECM, and even a little for a MAF conversion Motronic, but was doing things the long way around (removing/installing the chips a million times etc) since I was so used to having datalogging in the GM stuff.
http://WOT-TECH.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/WOT-Tech/356741317707642
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris325ix View Post
all your tuning is about "feelings"...
Forced_Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 09-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
everlast

E30: 325i turbo
everlast is a name known to alleverlast is a name known to alleverlast is a name known to alleverlast is a name known to alleverlast is a name known to alleverlast is a name known to all

Pm'd you.
everlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
Tchao
Contributing Member

E30: 91' 318is M50nv
Tchao has a reputation beyond reputeTchao has a reputation beyond reputeTchao has a reputation beyond reputeTchao has a reputation beyond reputeTchao has a reputation beyond reputeTchao has a reputation beyond reputeTchao has a reputation beyond reputeTchao has a reputation beyond reputeTchao has a reputation beyond reputeTchao has a reputation beyond reputeTchao has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tchao

Yeah for one coil driver and batch fire! Woot woot!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:41 PM   #4
Forced_Firebird
WOT-Tech

Forced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchao View Post
Yeah for one coil driver and batch fire! Woot woot!
Actually the Motronic 1.3 is SFI, hence the "cam sensor" on the plug wire

Thanks for the tip, Everlast, I have a semi-grip on tuning itself, but this will be the first endeavor tuning with limited datalogging and no knock sensor o.0

Eventually I want to put a GM ECM in the car with SFI, DIS, knock sensors and full dataloging, but for now will play around with the Motronic. I already have access to lots of info from ECUproject, TunerPRO, Moates and from GM tuning sites (use the same PROMS),even did a MAF conversion on an m20, but couldn't get it to work properly on my friend's turbo car - probably will try it on my NA car - it kept blowing dead rich after a significant load or RPMs were reached. Having an emulator should help, but it seems that without being able to read sensors directly, hacking the ECU might be a bit of a challenge, and burning chips gets tiresome. Furthermore with the MS stuff out there, the Motronic tuning is becoming voodoo, but because of it's simplicity, hacking it should be more than doable.
Quote:
Old 09-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
everlast

E30: 325i turbo
everlast is a name known to alleverlast is a name known to alleverlast is a name known to alleverlast is a name known to alleverlast is a name known to alleverlast is a name known to all

It all comes down to knowing the addresses of the maps in the binaries. I've see first hand how some of the well-known files for TunerPro are incorrect. It explains why things seem to work at first then fail for no good reason; your tuning isn't the problem as you sound like you have a great grip on what you need to do, you just might not be tuning the right part of the map.
everlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #6
NoScoE30
Contributing Member

E30: 130 cubic inches of fury in a late model
NoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forced_Firebird View Post
I can only assume sfi means sequential fuel injection, which the motronic 1.3 is not. Batch fire all the way baby

You heard it here first folks.
Beware, for I may have an extreme level of sarcasm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKXXKXe30
Mitch nosco is a hottie with nice man hands
NoScoE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
winfred
Contributing Member

E30: 91 328is m20b28 with a hair drier and some other goodies
winfred has a brilliant futurewinfred has a brilliant futurewinfred has a brilliant futurewinfred has a brilliant futurewinfred has a brilliant futurewinfred has a brilliant futurewinfred has a brilliant futurewinfred has a brilliant futurewinfred has a brilliant futurewinfred has a brilliant futurewinfred has a brilliant future

i guess SSFI would be more accurate semi sequential fuel injection, odd and even firing, thats part of the reason Is are less noisy at idle then Es with all 6 sticks banging away (low Z injectors on E are a bit louder too) mine on MSII firing 6 squirts and even/odd you can't even hear the injectors

Quote:
Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
winfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
Forced_Firebird
WOT-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoScoE30 View Post
I can only assume sfi means sequential fuel injection, which the motronic 1.3 is not. Batch fire all the way baby
Well batch fire has no need to sense the #1 cyl All the inj do NOT fire at the same time with the 1.3...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winfred View Post
i guess SSFI would be more accurate semi sequential fuel injection, odd and even firing, thats part of the reason Is are less noisy at idle then Es with all 6 sticks banging away (low Z injectors on E are a bit louder too) mine on MSII firing 6 squirts and even/odd you can't even hear the injectors

Thanks for the confirmation. Actually it's the impedance of the injectors that dictates noise more so than the the cycles - remember we are talking milliseconds and since batch fire fires all of them at the same time, there's less pulses because fuel is being added even when that particular bank is not in need of fuel. I used some Ford injectors in my Firebird and they seemed to be much louder than the stock ones, same Delphi injectors, only with 5# more at the same fuel pressure...

Anyways back on topic, uploading pics of the new equipment now. Have some headers that need to keep moving on (making a batch of 8 sets), so the plan is to load the stock .bin in the Ostrich and take the laptop with me so I can start messing with it.
Quote:
Old 09-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #9
gstuning
Contributing Member

E30: �90 S50B30 euro Mtech-II
gstuning is a splendid one to beholdgstuning is a splendid one to beholdgstuning is a splendid one to beholdgstuning is a splendid one to beholdgstuning is a splendid one to beholdgstuning is a splendid one to beholdgstuning is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to gstuning

No the M1.3 fires in batches of 3.

That cam sensor is there for diagnostics, the ecu has no ability to use it for anything.
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 09-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
NOTORIOUS VR

E30: in the past
NOTORIOUS VR has a spectacular aura aboutNOTORIOUS VR has a spectacular aura aboutNOTORIOUS VR has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Who else is emulating, or messing around with the Motronic tuning?

Just got a nice sized package from Moates including an emulator, spare chips, chip extender and some stuff I needed for my GM projects like a memcal adapter and ALDL datalog cable etc, can't wait to get started! Weather sucks right now, and the laptop is at my shop so tomorrow will get the chip extender installed so the chip port will be in the glove box and don't have to remove the ECU every time it needs to get hooked up.

Any suggestions or pointers before I get started? I am familiar with the chip burner etc and have messed around with the eeprom burner for my GM ECM, and even a little for a MAF conversion Motronic, but was doing things the long way around (removing/installing the chips a million times etc) since I was so used to having datalogging in the GM stuff.
Curious... After all of that $$ spent for the gear to tune the stock ECU, with a barn door (AFM) that is useless to no end, batch injection, etc...

You don't think it would have been better put to use to buy a MS or VEMS unit?
NOTORIOUS VR is offline   Reply With Quote